Post Op for Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty
POST OP INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION
- Begin with cool soft semi-liquid soft diet, then soft diet for this evening’s meal.
- Ear pain is common for up to 10 days after surgery. Continue to give the pain medication as prescribed every 4 hours for the first 48 hours then begin to wean into over the counter Tylenol, use as directed by manufacturer. It is best to use the over the counter medications during the day and narcotic medications in the evening.
- DO NOT USE over the counter MOTRIN, ASPIRIN, or ADVIL, this increases your bleeding risk.
- Avoid eating foods that are spicy or coarse ie: potato chips, Pizza, ect.
- You will be given a post operative appointment to follow up. It is important you keep this appointment so that we can examine and assure proper healing.
Feel Free to contact our office from 9-5 m-f with any non-emergency questions and a nurse can assist you.
When to call the office
Our emergency after hour’s number is 770-345-6600 or 770-429-2553
You should contact our office if the patient experiences ANY BRIGHT RED BLEEDING that is excessive.
- Bleeding may occur up to 2 weeks after surgery, remain on your soft diet and avoid strenuous activity, ie; bending, lifting, running, ect.
- have the patient gargle ice water to slow the bleeding
You should call our office if the patient develops a FEVER GREATER THAN 101.0 after surgery.
- If you the patient develops a low grade fever you may take Tylenol, use as directed from the manufacturer.
- dehydration can also cause an increase in body temperature. PUSH FLUIDS
You should contact our office if the patient has not had any fluids in 6 hours and significant decrease in fluid output.
- It is very important to encourage fluids to prevent dehydration.