Post Op for Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
- Mild to moderately severe sinus pressure headache discomfort (particularly between the eyes).
- Thick blood-tinged mucous (clots) in the nose and throat that will persist for up to 2 weeks after surgery
- Elevation of body temperature ranging from 99-102 degrees for 1-4 days.
- Tingling and numbness in the tip of the nose and front teeth due to internal swelling.
- Allow 4-6 weeks for internal nasal/sinus swelling to return to normal.
POST OPERATIVE DIRECTIONS
- Arrange for transportation to take you home from the hospital.
- Fill prescription 1-2 days prior to surgery.
- Stop Aspirin, Ibuprofen and Coumadin 5 days before and after surgery.
- GENTLY apply ice packs over the nose and affected sinuses for initial 24 hours after surgery
- (15 minutes on/30 minutes off).
- We recommend giving prescription pain medication every four hours the first 24 hours, then as needed after the 24 hour period.
- Start antibiotics the day after surgery and continue taking for the full 7 days.
- Elevate head with 2 pillows for 2 hours at a time.
- Avoid any lifting, bending, pulling or straining activities for 2 weeks following surgery (15 lbs MAX)
Begin SINUS SALINE IRRIGATION the day after surgery. USE DISTILLED OR STERILE WATER (you may purchase at any grocery store). Do this two (2) times daily (minimum), for 3 weeks.
- Thick blood tinged mucous plugs will accumulate in the nasal passages. Attempt to rinse and moisturize them frequently (with saline) to prevent crusting and scar formation!
You will need to purchase a nose spray (generic Afrin called oxymetazoline) before your surgery. If you develop a heavy nosebleed, use the spray every 5-10 minutes to control bleeding. Keep your head in the upright position. Apply ice packs across the bridge of the nose. If bleeding is not controlled within 1 hour, call the office at 770-345-6600.
If you are unable to tolerate your medicines or if additional medicines are needed, please call 770-345-6600 during office hours.
When to call the office
- Blood tinged (pinkish) discharge and clot formations are normal, if you have a severe nose bleed that does not stop after applying pressure, ice, and Afrin contact our office.
- A low grade temperature, below 101.0, is normal. If you develop a FEVER GREATER THAN 101.0, contact our office.