Post Op for Bone Anchored Hearing Aid (BAHA)
- You should take your narcotic pain medication every 4 hours for the first 24 hours.
- You may opt to wean off the narcotic pain medication after 24 hours.
- You may take over the counter Tylenol every four hours as directed.
- DO NOT TAKE ASPIRIN or any aspirin containing products for 2 weeks after surgery.
- You will begin your oral antibiotics the morning after surgery and you should continue taking the antibiotic till completed.
- You will need to keep the surgical site dry for 1 week or until your post op appointment,
Use caution when washing your hair to ensure the area stays dry, you can purchase a no rinse shampoo for use during this time. You should change your dressing 2 times a day and wash with hydrogen peroxide and apply polysporin ointment around the post.
- After 1 weeks you will begin to use the provided brush to clean the area around the post daily to remove any debris that has built up around the post. You should clean the brush with hand soap and warm water after each use and allow to air dry. You should replace the brush every three months. You will need to keep the hair around the post cut short to not interfere with the hearing aid and/or increase the risk of infection.
If you notice any of listed below, contact the office during normal business hours for an appointment;
- Oozing of blood and/or discolored drainage.
- Persistent inflammation (swelling and/or redness. If accompanied with a fever greater than 101.0 contact office!
- Post feels loose and moves when cleaning.
In three months after surgery you will be fitted for your new hearing aid. We are here to assist you should you need additional parts and/or adjustments to your settings.
When to call the office
Our emergency after hour's number is 770-345-6600 or 770-429-2553
- You should contact our office if the patient has any Bright Red Bleeding!
- You should contact our office if the patient develops a fever greater than 101.0!
- You should contact our office if you have excessive nausea and/or vomiting after 24 hours!